Innocent Spouse Tax Relief in Torrance, CA

If you’re married, chances are you’ve jointly filed your taxes with your spouse. However, you may not know that filing jointly allows the government to come after you or your spouse for the full amount of the tax debt, even if the debt or wrongdoing came from your spouse and not you. Even if you’re a homemaker who earns zero income you are considered liable and responsible for the full amount of any unpaid tax, interest and penalties. Additionally, if you’re divorced or widowed but were married to your spouse during the tax year in question, the IRS and Franchise Tax Board can still come after you.  Luckily there is hope.Tax relief may be available to you if you owe taxes to the IRS because of a spouse or former spouse, or if you have had a refund kept by the IRS because of a spouse or former spouse. This is called Innocent Spouse Relief.We have successfully reduced innocent spouse liabilities of $2.4 million and $3.8 million to $0. If you have a current tax problem that you believe was caused by your spouse or former spouse, please call our office (310) 517-8600 to see if you qualify. There are numerous qualifications you must meet before being considered an innocent spouse and we will help you through every step of the process.Additionally, if you are engaged to someone who has a tax problem, consultation with an experienced tax attorney prior to the day of the wedding is recommended. The marital laws in many states, and especially within community property states, could negatively affect your income and assets, as well as which assets could be seized to pay the other spouse’s tax debts once you are married. The nine states with community property systems are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.


You’re an “injured spouse” when the IRS keeps your tax refund to pay your spouse’s unpaid debts. These debts include your spouse’s past-due tax, child/spousal support and student loans. If you are an injured spouse, you may be able to get your share of the refund by filing certain forms with the IRS. Please call us to see if you qualify to meet the injured spouse rules.

If you are being audited by the Internal Revenue Service, Franchise Tax Board or any other state or local tax authority, contact the tax attorneys at David Lee Rice, A Professional Law Corporation, immediately at (310) 517-8600 for a consultation.

What Sets Us Apart?

  • Over 3 Decades of Experience
  • Specialist in taxation through the California Board of Legal Specialization
  • Certified as a specialist in elder law through the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys